Women's Coaching Month takes centre stage
Throughout the month of July, the AFL celebrated the inaugural edition of Women’s Coaching Month which showcased the wonderful contribution of female coaches across all levels of our game.
Women’s Coaching Month provided an opportunity to highlight some of the coaches leading the way whilst also promoting programs and initiatives to get more women coaching at community level, across state leagues and at the AFL and AFLW level.
In Victoria there were several submissions that highlighted the fantastic work that our female coaches are doing right across the state.
Some of the best stories can be found below:
- Elle Dow — CEO of FIDA and a coach of the 2019 premiership winning Hawthorn VBFL side, Elle shared some important messages about coaching and inclusivity within our game and community. View her story here.
- Patricia Boxell — Patsy was awarded the AFL Outer East coach in the month for June through receiving 31 nominations from people both within and outside of her club. To quote one of the nominations: "Patsy is not only looked up to by her team but also the women’s football community as a whole. She is great for women’s football and AFL Outer East are so lucky to have her in their competition."
- Lainey Crofts — Lainey is regarded highly for her work in the inclusion sphere, and she has helped to make her club an accessible and inclusive space. Lainey’s approach to coaching has been described as “calm, clear and confident,” and she embodies the club’s key principles of “integrity, loyalty and respect,” making a significant impact both on and off the field.
- Kielly Ryan — A hearing impaired coach, Kielly has not let this get in the way of her coaching and playing dreams as she inspires those at her club and in her community. View Kielly's story here.
- Samantha Bice — A player/coach for Nangiloc District Football Club in the Sunraysia Region, Samantha has been a driving force behind junior women’s comps and is involved in women’s mentoring roles. Listen to Sam's story here.
The nominations for Women’s Coaching Month in Victoria:
For more information about Women’s Coaching Month and how to get involved in coaching pathways, head to: